The Church in Drive exists to be and make disciples of Jesus Christ in the city of Saginaw and the surrounding area. We have a special call to make disciples on the campus of Saginaw Valley State University through Standing in the Gap, and to establish other campus ministries and churches in college towns across Michigan and beyond.
The Church in Drive is an intentional community equipping people to discover, develop, and deploy their unique gifts to influence their world through Christ.
- There is one God, eternally existent in three Persons; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- In the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in his virgin birth, in his sinless life, in his miracles, in his ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in his personal return in power and glory to receive his Church and rule over his Kingdom.
- That for salvation of lost and sinful man, regeneration by the Holy Spirit, through repentance and personal acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, is absolutely essential.
- In the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of eternal life with God and they that are lost unto the resurrection of eternal damnation.
- The Bible to be the infallible and authoritative word of God, the New Testament being our creed and rule of faith and practice.
- In the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ to accomplish God’s redemptive purpose for all mankind.
Pastor Nate Polzin has been in ministry for over 20 years. In 1996, after graduating from Central Michigan University with a B.S. in Political Science, he was called by New Life Christian Fellowship in Mt. Pleasant, MI, to begin a campus ministry at Central Michigan University. That ministry, called Standing in the Gap, was blessed by God and continued to grow for many years. Eventually, Nate moved to Richmond, IN to finish his Master of Divinity degree at Bethany Theological Seminary. While he was there, he pastored the White Branch Church of the Brethren in Hagerstown, IN. He graduated from Bethany in May of 2007. He then moved to Saginaw to plant the Church in Drive and start a new Standing in the Gap chapter at Saginaw Valley State University.
Nate is originally from Hemlock, MI and has lots of family in the Saginaw area. He married his wife, Mandy, in the fall of 2009. They have two children, Lucas and Michael.
Associate Pastor Owen Tosh is the 4th pastor in his immediate family. He graduated from Saginaw Valley State University in 2009 with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering, and from the University of Waterloo in 2011 with a Master of Engineering degree. He became the campus pastor of Saginaw Valley's chapter of Standing in the Gap in 2018, and is planning to pursue a Master of Divinity degree at Bethany Theological Seminary. He also works part time as a software engineer in Saginaw.
Owen is originally from Sarnia, Ontario, and has lived in the Saginaw area since 2011. His wife, Leigha, is a native of Michigan, and the two are preparing to start a family in the area.
The Church of the Brethren is a small denomination founded in 1708 by Alexander Mack in Germany. It strongly emphasizes obedience to the teachings of Jesus. Believer's baptism, Bible study, worshiping together, communion, peace-making, and service to others are some of the major ways we seek to put Jesus' commands into practice. Visit the official website of the denomination at www.brethren.org for more information.